I am very pleased to be leading a discussion about videoblogging on Saturday morning. My focus will be on creating a "show" type videoblog rather than a personal videoblog. The videoblogs that I find the most engaging show me something I could never see on TV, or understand fully by reading about in a text blog.
My plan is to spend the beginning of the session sharing my perspective on what makes a compelling videoblog, as well as by talking about some of my experiences with Rocketboom.
I’ll put my two core beliefs on the table right now:
• If information is presented in an entertaining way, its message will spread quickly.
• No medium is more powerful than the moving image.
The second part of the session will be spent discussing how to make a videoblog “show”. I believe this “how-to” discussion will help to guide those who are thinking about creating their own shows, while being of interest to those who wish to learn about videoblogging in general. Some things we will talk about:
• In what areas are you an expert? What do you know tons about that others might find interesting? Are you an avid comic book collector? Rock climber? Pastry chef?
• Out of the all the things you know a lot about, what would you have the most fun sharing with others?
• Committing to a regular schedule is key. How much time do you have to put into this?
• How are you going to format your show? Will you have on-the-street interviews, or will you shoot from your kitchen? Or a little of both?
• How LONG will your show be?
• How will you justify the large file size? What makes the visual aspect a necessary component to your show?
• What tools do you need to get started?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any videoblog-related subjects that you would be interested in talking about. I look forward to hanging out with you all on Saturday morning!